Live plants always make a nice addition to your home’s decor or the landscaping around your house. But if you share your home with pets, be sure to check and double-check the kinds of plants that are safe to have and those that might prove deadly to your pet. Because of our pet’s size and metabolism, some plants can be highly toxic to them. If you pet ingests a plant or parts of a plant that is toxic to him, it can cause illness or even death.
Typical symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, drooling, disorientation, panting, and seizures. If your pet happens to ingest a plant harmful to him, take him to a veterinarian immediately for treatment.
The following are some plants that can be harmful to your pets. It’s not possible to list every plant, but here are the more commonly known plants that you should watch for. For more complete lists of plants to avoid, search the internet as there are many sites that list plants dangerous to our pets. Be vigilant if you pet is outside. Watch what they do and don’t let them munch on greenery, flowers, nuts, or fruits.
Aloe Vera, Azalea, Baby’s Breath, Bird of Paradise, Buttercups, Cactus, Poinsettia, Chrysanthemum, Clover, Daffodil, Elderberry, Eucalyptus, Ferns, Geranium, Hibiscus, Honeysuckle, Hyacinth, Hydrangea, Impatiens, Iris, Ivy, Jasmine, Lilies, Lily-of-the-Valley, Marigold, Mistletoe, Morning Glory, Narcissus, Oleander, Onion, Peony, Periwinkle, Philodendron, Primrose, Rhododendron, Wisteria, Yellow Jasmine.