Why Does My Cat Poop Outside the Litter Box?

by The Pet Care Guy on November 23, 2010

As a cat-owner, it’s only a matter of time before you discover that your precious pet has left you an unpleasant
surprise somewhere on the floor, usually not too far from his litter box. By surprise, I mean a piece of poop. I
asked several cat owners and all have had this happen at one time or another.

The first time I encountered this situation, I wondered if my cat had done it on purpose. But I quickly concluded
that it wasn’t a malicious act, but rather just an accident. I thought this because it was just a little bit. It wasn’t
as if the cat squatted and left a big pile for me to find.

Plus, my cat has long fur, so I thought maybe it just got stuck on the fur on her rear end and it just fell off outside the box.

To avoid this once-in-a-while event, you can always trim the fur around your cat’s rear end. This is what I have to do regularly. Be careful and use clippers that are meant to trim animal fur. If you’re not sure if you can do this yourself, take your cat to a groomer for a trim.

If your cat is leaving you surprises that don’t seem like accidents, you should have the cat checked by your vet to eliminate the possibility of a medical condition. Sometimes an illness will cause a cat to urinate or defecate outside his litter box.

And if you have an un-neutered male cat, he might spray urine to mark his territory. For most cats, having them neutered will halt the problem.

If nothing is wrong medically, think about what the cat might be unhappy about. One cat owner I know changed the litter she used for her cat, which the cat hated. She tried meowing about her displeasure for about half a day and when that got no response, she pooped on the lady’s comforter.

At first the owner was angry and disgusted. But after thinking about it, realized it was her fault. She changed the litter back to the old stuff and the cat went back to using the litter box with no problem.

If you haven’t switched kitty litter brands, check to make sure the litter is cleaned often enough. Sometimes
cats will balk at using a litter box that is too dirty. And every cat is different. Some cats will use the box even if it’s slightly dirty and others will turn away unless it’s cleaned daily.

Also be careful of strong scents. If you use a litter that has too much perfume or use a strong-smelling cleaner to clean out the box, that might turn your cat off and away.

If your box has a cover, try taking it off. Some cats don’t like to feel too enclosed when going to the bathroom. Other cats like the privacy of a cover. Or maybe the box is too small in the first place. Replace it with a bigger box and see if it makes a difference.

Some cats will avoid using the litter box if it’s not in a good location. If there is too much foot traffic around
the box, the cat might not feel comfortable enough to use it. Just like us, cats like a little privacy. And if you have two or more cats, you might want to consider getting several boxes and putting them in different areas of the house.

Sometimes emotional stress can cause a cat to stop using the litter box. Try to pinpoint what might be stressing your cat and eliminate the cause if you can. Cats like routine. They can get stressed if you just move their litter box, so you can imagine that they might get pretty upset if you move to another house, add a new pet or person to the household, or even if you’re under some stress yourself.

Another cat owner I know was worried when she introduced a new cat into the household. She thought her first cat would get angry/stressed and stop using the litter. So to make the transition easier, she made sure to reassure her first cat constantly, playing with him, giving him extra affection and attention, being more liberal with the treats, and it seemed to work.

The cat was annoyed as soon as he saw the new cat, but then adjusted to the situation fairly quickly because
he loved the positive attention he was getting while the new cat was in the house.

If your cat is using other parts of your home as a toilet, he will most likely re-use spots. You can help stop that cycle by making the cat’s favorite spots undesirable. The scent left by the cat will draw it back to the same place over and over, so make sure to clean the area thoroughly and use a good enzymatic cleanser made to eliminate pet odors.

Don’t use ammonia-based cleaners because ammonia smells like cat urine, and will draw your cat back to the spot.

You can try different deterrents like placing aluminum foil or wax paper where the cat went (they don’t like the feel of it under their paws). Cats don’t like the smell of citrus, so you might want to place citrus-scented items
in the area. You may try double-sided tape, and there are several alarm deterrents, citronella deterrents, and other products that you can try.

As unpleasant as it may be to have our cats eliminate outside of the litter box, remember that punishing your cat by yelling, hitting, making loud noises, or squirting him with water won’t solve the bad bathroom habits. There is sure to be a reason behind your cat’s behavior and it’s up to you to figure out what is wrong and fix the problem.

{ 103 comments… read them below or add one }

Cat care February 11, 2011 at 7:19 am

Everything you need to know regarding your cat and the ways to take care of it Cat care

alissa November 20, 2011 at 8:46 am

My husband left for a school for the army. He has been gone since Oct 8 and not home til Dec 9. My female fixed cat, started pooping in the hallway and the same spot every time! I have been taking her food away at times cause she is very much over weight. I thought it was that but noticed when I stop she didn’t. Her being stressed could be due to husband being gone? How do I fix this?

The Pet Care Guy November 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Hi Alissa. Have there been any other changes other than your husband leaving for school? For instance, have you changed your cat’s food, litter, location of the litter box, or anything different other than your husband going to school? Have you ruled out any medical issues with your cat? This may cause your kitty to go potty in inappropriate places. If none of these are the issue, then I would say that the change of your husband being gone is the issue. Cats do not like change, some more than others. You may want to put a second litter box in the hallway to see if she will use it. Don’t just move your litter box to the hallway, that may cause more problems, add a second one. Keep her occupied with toys, scratching posts, and plenty of attention. If any of our readers have more they want to add, please do.

Devin January 23, 2012 at 3:12 pm

My 1 year old cat has been pooping in our bathtubs and in a corner but we do have another 8 yr old cat we already got a 3ft litter box but she still poops. She is also fat. Our other cat does chase her and go after her. What do i do?

The Pet Care Guy January 29, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Devin,

Without knowing a little more info, have you had your cat checked by a vet to see if there is a medical issue going on? This may be the case. Other than that, does your older cat guard the litter box? Your 1 year old may be scared to use the box. Have you tried introducing a second litter box in another location? That may work. Have there been any changes in food, location of anything, changes in routine, etc.?

Pat January 31, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Hi PCG –
I know perfectly well the reasons my cat has started pooping outside her litterbox. #1 – I changed her food from the Iams that she threw up pretty much every day of her life to much better food – a mix Blue Wilderness & Wellness. She doesn’t throw up anymore because she’s eating protein instead of corn. #2 – For going on 2 months now, I’ve been taking care of the cats downstairs while their owner is away, so I smell like those 2 cats all the time.

Question is, what do I DO about it? There’s nobody else to feed those 2 downstairs, and I don’t want to go back to watching her puke every day & cleaning up vomit instead of poop. I’m at my wits end. I already KNOW I’m coming home to cat poop outside the box & stinking up my apartment before I even see or smell it. I’m stressed out, pissed off, and tired of yelling at my formerly perfect cat of over 7 years. Any ideas?

The Pet Care Guy February 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Hi Pat,

Well, it sounds like there are a lot of things going on. For the food issue, I think the better food is great, and since she is not throwing up anymore, that is a positive. With the other things going on, I believe the change in food is not the issue. Have you ruled out any medical issues? Just because this all seemed to start when you began taking care of the other cats, it could just be coincidence. Make sure your cat has a clean bill of health with your vet.

All cats are different, and react differently. Your cat could be marking due to the other cats, though they usually spray, not poop. You have to start trying something. I would suggest adding a second box in another location first, and see what happens. Your other cat does chase your kitty, and this could be the issue. When you take care of the other cats, use an old pair of shoes that you may have, and leave those outside. Also, use a pair of clothes specifically for taking care of your neighbor’s cats, and change your clothes right away when you come back home. Try to isolate those clothes from your cats, if you can.

Again, take your cat to the vet for a checkup. There are diseases that will cause inappropriate potty. Start with these, and see how things go. By the way, have you changed the type of litter you use? Cats can go potty inappropriately when they don’t like the litter. Did she poop outside the box before you got the 3ft. litter box? These are all questions you need to ask yourself as well.

Elizabeth March 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I found this article to be very helpful in trying to understand my cats weird mind. My cat is now about 15 years old and has been pooping in front of the box since he was about 3 years old. WE have done everything!! Changed the litter, changed food, changed the box 3 times a day, talked to a vet and nothing has worked! I was 7 years old when I got this cat and he is the love of my life. My mother was sick of his bad habit and so he at one time was a indoor and outdoor cat. He loves being outside and the habit seemed to have subsided when we was outside more. I’m now 22 years old and recently got married 2 years ago. He maybe in our first apartment pooped in front of the box 3 times the whole year we lived there. We recently moved 3 months ago and the habit is now every time he has to poop it’s on the floor. I don’t know what to do. I havn’t changed litter or food or anything. We’ve tried putting tin foil on the floor and all it makes him do is find another spot to poop. I know i should never yell at my cat when he does it but I do when he does cause he hids whenever he just did it. I don’t know how to handle it. I love my cat to death I don’t want to get rid of him but i can’t live with the stench when i come home anymore. Please help me i’m desperate!

The Pet Care Guy March 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

It sounds like the changes have brought back the pooping outside of the box again. As always, make sure it’s not a health issue that may be causing this. Is your cat a longer haired cat? Maybe your kitty needs a sanitary trim if the poop is getting stuck in his hair. As your cat gets older, this problem does become more common, even in cats who never went outside their boxes before. Is the box covered or open? If it’s covered, he may not like this. Try adding a second litter box. Some cats like to have separate boxes, one for urinating in and the other for pooping in. I’m not sure if you’ve ever tried this before. Try to reduce any stress for your cat. Does he have privacy when he goes potty? Is the box in a quiet room away from any stressful areas? Let me know if any of these work. Again, first and foremost, make sure your cat is healthy.

Jackie June 18, 2013 at 5:08 am

Had a similar problem with one cat pooping outside box. Have you tried having two litter boxes? I have two cats – a litter box for each. I also use a automatic litter box (Litter-Robot). It affords privacy for them, and less of a mess for me. If you don’t have one, perhaps you should consider a covered litter box. And yes, for some reason my one cat still – every so often – poops outside the litter box. Good luck.

Ann April 24, 2012 at 9:24 pm

My cat is pooping outside of the litter box. This all started when I took a 2 week vacation. When I returned home I found several spots where he had gone. My neighbors might not have cleaned to box daily. I also found the liner under my box springs all tore up. I’ve been back over 2 months and I’m still having to problem. I took him to the vet a month ago she said to add another litter box since I have 2 cats. The other box he will roll in but doesn’t use. The other cat will pee in there but poops in the other. Today he went all the way to the sliding glass door to do his business. I don’t know what to do. I will be going out of town for 5 days and don’t want the neighbor to watch them. I don’t know if they “stressed” him out? Any suggestions?

Patricia Abad May 23, 2012 at 9:56 pm

My three year old cat (indoor) was recently sick, took her to the vet but they weren’t able to pinpoint exactly what is was, just that it was some sort of infection (intestinal). She received antibiotics and recovered. Ended up taking her to the vet 5 times in a short period. She then started peeing on the bathroom floor and in the hallway. Thought she might be stressed about the vet visits. Since she was at the vet she has now started using the crate as a sleeping area which makes me think she didn’t mind the vet visits as much as I thought she did. I’ve been very patient with her. Bought a bigger litter box, tried various liiters, gave her extra love, but nothings seems to help. Two days ago she started pooping right outside the litterbox. Still trying to be patient. I keep a close eye on her after eating, sleeping or playing and when she heads in the direction of the bathroom I follow her. She starts meowing, will look at me and the litter box but won’t use it. We both know she needs to go, but she won’t as long as I’m standing there so she obviously knows she shouldn’t be pooping or peeping outside the litter box. If I pick her up and put her in the litter box she’ll use it but jump out of it as if she received an electric shock. She hasn’t been covering up her messes anymore either. Tried every method I could find online, nothing seems to work. The only method I haven’t tried is the cage method (confining her to a small area with litter box and food and water). Since we live in a household where all the doors are always open and she isn’t restricted to any area of the household, I’m afraid this will cause her more stress, she doesn’t like it when the door is closed. Like I said I’m trying to be patient, but getting up every morning and having to mop the bathroom before I can even use it is really beginning to STRESS ME!

E Robinson June 10, 2012 at 5:33 am

My cat, Ziggy will randomly go to the bathroom – number 2 outside her litter box. In the same spot. And she also throws up randomly. She is about 7-8 years old and does not have long hair. Any ideas? It seems to happen when I go away for the day, night, or weekend.

Help! Should I contact my vet? I clean her liter box on a daily basis and it’s not in a high traffic area.

Thanks – I appreciate any ideas/assistance. I think my husband is ready to make her an out door cat.

TJM June 13, 2012 at 1:06 am

I have two female cats, one 15 (C) and one 1 year old (M) (and two litter boxes, two food/water areas). C came to us as a kitten, so has always lived in the same house. C lately has been pooping outside the litter box. She has always been hit and miss on covering in the box, but lately has been (without any particular pattern that I can figure out) going outside the box. She will do this one or two times in a row, then go back to using the box without issue for days, then go back to going outside the box, and back again. And when I say outside the box, I mean rooms away. I use clumping litter, but I do go back and forth between Tidy Cat and Arm/Hammer, usually mixing the two. The (2) boxes are in same room, but are several feet apart. And although the two cats aren’t really friends (C’s choice-M would really like to be friends), they don’t fight or ambush each other in the box. There has not been any major changes in the household recently. I have not changed their food (dry Natural Balance, with small amount of canned). C had a major dental issue last summer (teeth extractions due to infection), but recovered without complications, but very costly, not to mention traumatic to us both, so I would like to avoid a vet trip. Relocating or adding a litter box is not feasible at this time. (Did I mention the outside the box location is the living room? Not really the ideal place for a litter box). Several people have suggested isolating C for several days or weeks, but then that would cause a major disturbance for both C and M, not to mention me. I don’t think C is senile, as she still knows where the food/water are, and pees in the box, so she knows where it is. And when I discover the poop, she hides, which I think is a sign she knows that is not the right place for that. It seems to me this outside the box pooping is a behavioral thing, but now what? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Natalie June 23, 2012 at 10:05 am

My cat is almost 3 years old. We recently moved in to a new house about 5 months ago and she is constantly pooping outside the litter box. I have tried EVERYTHING. I clean the litter box daily, because we have another cat in the house as well. Some days she will poop in the litter box after I clean it, but it almost seems like no matter what I do, she still wants to go outside. She will go right next to it, but not in it. I am at a loss of what to do. I haven’t changed food or litter, she just has been doing this for a very long time now… Some good days, but mostly bad days of going outside the box.

Penny Burdge July 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Here’s something that helped for our situation. We adopted two young kitties, a 5 month old female and a 3 month old male who were being fostered in the homes of members of a local kitten rescue group. I put out 4 litter boxes with different types of litter in our two-story house to make it easy and convenient for them and to see what they liked best. There were no litter box problems at all until we went on vacation and my 23-year-old son (who is living with us while he serves in Americorps) took care of them for 12 days.

Lily, our lovely long-haird calico, is not picky about which box she uses to urinate, but she rapidly “claimed” one particular box for pooping. It’s the only one she uses for that. (Puck, a mischievous lynx-point Siamese, uses all four litter boxes for either task)

When we got home from vacation my son told me that the female cat had started pooping on the floor in the same room as “her” litter box. The litter box was clean…hmmm….I tried different litters. I put a cover on the box. I took the cover back off the box. I moved it to a different places in the room. Then I took her to the vet just to be sure there was no medical problem. There wasn’t.

My vet said, “try this” and handed me a box of Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Litter Attractant. (NO, I am not employed by Dr. Elsey, I’d never heard of the stuff.) It smells wonderful, sort of like freshly mowed alfalfa or something. Not perfumey, but “herby” and “grassy.” My vet suggested that perhaps my son did not keep the box scooped out daily, and had just cleaned it up before we got home.(We’ve known each other since 1986 so I wasn’t at all offended). She thought Lily might be very particular about having a clean out litter box and so when it got too full, she opted to use the floor. She developed a bad habit while we were gone and we needed to help her unlearn the habit and re-establish the good one she had before.

You use this stuff by first cleaning out the box completely as replacing the litter with one that has NO perfumes and no deodorizers (like baking soda). Simple clay litter works fine, and that’s what I used. You can also get Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat brand litter at PetSmart if you like. It has a finer texture than the less expensive clay litter. That’s what we use now. It’s much more expensive, but I’m still using the first 30# bag I bought in May/

You add this attractant to the litter, following the directions in the very detailed little booklet that comes with the product.

Worked like a charm! As soon as I got the box ready Lily walked over, stuck her nose in and the rest of her followed right away. Problem solved until I got real busy at work and forgot to scoop “HER” box two days in a row. She “reminded” me of my error and I haven’t forgotten since.

The rest of the story? My son admitted he had only scooped out her box “once or twice” while we were gone for 12 days.

John July 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Ive had an indoor cat for a while now and she randomly started pooping outside the box. I scoop daily and havent changed food or litter and she has always gone there until recently! Any Thoughts?

Mike July 19, 2012 at 2:30 pm

My cat has never had a problem with her litter. ive used the same cleaning routine, same litter, same linners etc. and she now has started pooping next to the box. i tried cleaning it and the next day she still pooped outside of the box. i tried moving the box to a better location and found poop in the same spot the box was at before.

Dave July 21, 2012 at 9:02 am

I got a cat for my little girl when her little brother passed away as a companion. We have had that cat two years now and all of a sudden her cat has decided to start crapping about a foot in front of the box. there hasnt been any change in litter, or anything. same day to day routine and all. any advice.

Kathy July 22, 2012 at 10:24 am

I own 10 cats…4 adults & 6 1 yr & younger. I have 6 litter boxes in my basement & 3 on the sleeping quarters floor (2 in the spare bathroom & 1 in a 2nd bedroom). The litter boxes are sifted through 3-4 times daily (Tidy cat or Petco brand). Food is either prescription Science diet or sensitive stomach Science diet. Three have been to the vet recently for their annual checkup with a stool sample (no parasites). One out of my 10 (sneaky feeling whom it might be, but still no proof…plus if he’s the one checked out fine at vet) is pooping right outside the litter box in the bedroom. It’s not an everyday occurance

Kathy July 22, 2012 at 10:41 am

I own 10 cats…4 adults & 6 – 1 1/2 yr & younger. I have 6 litter boxes in my basement & 3 on the sleeping quarters floor (2 in the spare bathroom & 1 in a 2nd bedroom). The litter boxes are sifted through 3-4 times daily (Tidy cat or Petco brand). Food is either prescription Science CD diet or sensitive stomach Science diet. Three have been to the vet recently for their annual checkup with a stool sample (no parasites). One out of my 10 (sneaky feeling whom it might be, but still no proof…plus if he’s the one he checked out fine at vet) is pooping right outside the litter box in the bedroom. It’s not an everyday occurrence but enough to be bothersome. I have diffusers set up throughout the house, which has calmed their behaviors & eliminated the urinating by a few of the older cats. I use Natures Miracle to soak/clean up the area where the cat has pooped, but it seems as soon as that dries kitty is back at it. I ordered a bottle of Anti-icky poo to see if this might help. The kitty was also pooping on the bed in that same bedroom. I have since covered it with a plastic heavy duty drop cloth…no accidents on the bed anymore. Am I destined to cover the carpet with plastic drop cloths? He/she has at times also used my bedroom for eliminating (no litter boxes in their) and accidents haven’t happened in there lately! To catch the culprit might mean installing a baby camera/monitor! I’m at wits end cause I’ve tried so many things. They are very social kitties and get along very well with each other and I’m beginning to swear by these diffusers, but I still have a but! What other suggestions might you say I try?

Gina July 26, 2012 at 3:38 am

My cat is nine years old and has routine she will randomly poop in the bathtub when her litter box is clean she has some bald spots on her fur now which she never had before… Ive had her to the vet so much im tired of spending money on her a small fortune any suggestions? and she gets played with alot and I havent changed anything same food same litter etc so I have no idea why these random acts of not using her litter box and she will meow at 5 am for no reason I can think of help?

Jennifer Bauersachs August 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Hi, my boyfriend’s Dad’s cat is pooping outside the litter box almost everytime. She goes like 5 times a day or more. She smells really bad when she goes and it isn’t solid. I have never had a cat that smelled so bad when it went. I can smell her on the other side of the house. They have taken her to the vet and the vet says that she is sick but they dont know what is wrong. We have been placing newspapers around the litter box so it is easier to clean. I just want to know if there is anything else that can be done. It has became a big problem in the house. Also on a side note.. the cat thinks that she owns the house.. she will be all lovely one second and the next she is hissing at you and runs to her “safe place”.

The Pet Care Guy August 17, 2012 at 7:55 pm

If your cat is pooping 5 times a day, and your vet says the cat is sick, I believe it. If your vet can’t figure out what is wrong, take the cat to a different vet. The first thing you need to find out is what is wrong with the cat’s health. If the cat is sick, this will drive her behavior, so the illness needs to be addressed before you can change her behavior.

Nikki Minaca August 22, 2012 at 3:11 am

I have a 5 year old female who has always pooped in her box. Recently she pooped in my friends son overnight bag, when he stayed over our house. I chalked this up to being “protective” even though she has never done this before. She sometimes growals when someone is at the door, but runs and hides until that leave.vshe has always been out affectionate kitty, bathing my husband nightly. She licks his hair clean. And would sit on my lap when she was done and always cuddled with me when it was bed time. About a month or two ago she stopped and has become distant. She has these scabs and sores down her back and some on her tummy. Now for the past two days she has pooped and peed in my sons room! Reading this page, it’s time to take her to the vet, but does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

margie August 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm

About 20 years ago, we adopted two Siamese cats from the shelter. (They were two years old then.) They were from the same family, so we decided to adopt both of them. Wonderful beautiful affectionate cats. They have always stayed together: eating, pooping, sleeping, carousing … They never go outside.

About six months ago one of the cats had a stroke and had to be put to sleep. Not long after, Indy, the one who we still have, started pooping and peeing on the floor by the boxes. Now he just poops on the floor :<( and pees in the box :<) I mop the floor with the same floor cleaner (no ammonia) I always have used and then I spray it with Nature's Miracle. I haven't changed anything; food, litter, cat box. I clean the box (if I am lucky enough to find something) at least twice a day. He sleeps on my bed every night.

Is it possible that losing his "brother" could upset him so much and cause him to act this way? If so, will it ever end? What's to do?
Margie

Jerome August 26, 2012 at 6:40 am

My 8 year old female spayed cat has started defecating outside her litter box.
Having read some of the comments, I believe that my cat is dealing with a change of routine. She has been, since she was born, a house cat, but over the last few weeks, I’ve allowed her to go outdoors. She doesn’t stray far away from the door but since I’ve started allowing her out, she has been become what I call “sooky” and wants to go out constantly.
Could this change in her routine account for her recent bathroom mishaps?

The Pet Care Guy September 2, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Jerome,

You never know what any little change in routine will have on your cats. From what you say about her wanting to go out constantly, but not going far, it sounds like you may have created some anxiety in her. She likes going outside, but doesn’t know how to act or what to do. This may be why she is going inappropriately. Either stop letting her out and let her forget about going out (it will take a little while), or keep going and let her work out her anxiety. You may want to try putting a harness on her and see if you can walk her around a bit. This may take quite a bit of training. As always, make sure she checks out healthy with your vet. It could be a coincidence that she started going outside of her box at the same time as you started letting her out.

cherie August 26, 2012 at 7:05 am

Hi and help I adopted 2 male kittens not brothers, they get along great now. One of them poops outside the box but only 1 time a day. I dont understand?? please help
I have had them for 2 weeks now, the 1 didnt do it at 1st. I keep changing the litter to see which one works better. I took the liner out

The Pet Care Guy August 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Have you tried using two litter boxes? Some cats like to use one for pee and one for poop. Or, some cats don’t like sharing a litter box.

Leo and Marie's Mom October 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Try putting the litter boxes in different locations. Hope it works! My cat is very bad about this problem these days.

Stephanie September 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm

My husband and I have recently been finding treasures in our home when we wake up in the morning. Previous to these incidences, the only time the cats have used the bathroom outside of the box was 1) it was dirty (our roommate was in charge of cleaning the box and didn’t do it every day) and 2) they were locked inside our bedroom on accident for over 8 hours.

This has been happening off and on for the past two weeks or so. From August 9-18 both my husband and myself were out of town; a friend came over every single day and cleaned their litter. There were no surprises during that time. Once my husband and I got home, we started sleeping with our bedroom door closed, with the cats not allowed entry. This is when the pooping started happening outside of the box. We have found it in our bedroom (while we were downstairs), on the stairs, on the couch, on the tile floor, on the bathroom rug.

Is it possible that my cat is upset with us for not allowing him entry into the bedroom? The problem only started since we got back from an absence and since we started not allowing entry to the bedroom at night. This is a really irritating problem.

The Pet Care Guy September 2, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Are you absolutely sure your friend came by every day and cleaned? Also, locking your cat out of your room is a change in routine. Some cats do not do well with any kind of change. It may seem like a little change to you that shouldn’t mean anything, but to your cat, it can be a huge change that triggers an unwanted consequence. Try allowing the cat to have access to your bedroom at night and see if your cat goes back to normal. Was there a particular reason to keep the cat from your bedroom?

Ina September 2, 2012 at 6:24 am

Hello,
My 20 year car has started leaving poop outside the box. I don’t think he is actually going outside the box, as I find some in there, but then there is more bits left close by. One day I came home and found some basically stuck to his bottom.
He is a short hair cat and I have checked to see if the hair is in the way, but I do not see anything. He does have arthristis in his hind legs. (He is 20 after all)
Thanks for your help.

The Pet Care Guy September 2, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Hi Ina,

You say it yourself, he is 20 years old. Aside from having him checked out by your vet, have you tried a shallow litter box. He may have good days where he can make it into the box, and other days where he may be hurting too much to make a big step into a tall litter box. It will be messier with litter going everywhere, but it’s for your cat’s well being. Let me know.

Ina September 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Thanks for your reply. We took Gus to the vet yesterday and they ended up giving him an enema. Apparently he was quite blocked up. He seems much better today — back to his old naughty and mainly sleepy self,

Thanks again,
Ina

Laurie September 4, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I have 3 cats – Mullein is 8 and is a neutered male; Dottia is 7 and a “fixed” female and Voxie is a 5 year old neutered male.

About 6 weeks ago I got new carpeting. Two weeks after that I got 2 new loveseats. Ever since I got the new loveseats Mullein is pooping nightly in my living room. I tried putting a quilt over the loveseat in case it had a scent that was upsetting him. My vet thought an outside cat might be upsetting Mullein. So I’ve been spraying nightly around the front of my house with orange oil. I’ve also been spraying inside the house with Feliway aroung the front door area. None of that has helped.

There have been no changes in his food or litter. I’ve added a third litter box. There are no new people or animals in the house.

He is consistently pooping in the same area in the living room and I’ve put down a blanket there to protect the new carpeting. Every night between 2 am and 7 am he is pooping on that blanket.

I did take him to the vet to have him checked out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I’m going crazy with this situation.

Stacy September 10, 2012 at 9:29 am

We got our 7 month old male cat neutered last Thursday. Sunday and Monday we had a “present” in the bathroom when we woke up. On Sunday, it was on our bathroom mat and was diarrhea so I thought maybe he had an accident and couldn’t make it to the litter. We threw away the bath mat rather than try to clean it. On Monday it was a “regular” poop in the same spot. Help! Is it because we just neutered him a few days ago? We haven’t moved the litter he was using before and have never had this problem. He has gone in the litter box to poop and pee before and after the two incidents. I don’t understand what is going on!

Leo and Marie's Mom October 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I have an eleven year old cat, and a three year old cat. The eleven year old cat was litter trained until my husband wnet away to work in another province. I think that this had something to do with his problem, but I also think that he does not like to step in the litter.

Marina October 7, 2012 at 12:31 am

I have two 6 month old kittens (brother and sister; both fixed), for the past 6 weeks the female has been pooping and peeing outside her box. At first I thought it could have been because I hadn’t gotten to cleaning their litter boxes yet but she has continued doing it even though it’s not a constant thing. The only thing that has changed at all is her getting spayed. Since being spayed she also gets very upset when a door separates her from me and no matter how long I play with her during the day EVERY night around 4am she drags her feather toy on a stick up onto my bed and wakes me up to play. She got a full vet check up about a week before all this started happening and is regularly dewormed. Could this be something similar to separation anxiety and what can I do to correct this behavior?

Brandon October 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Dear the pet care guy,

My cat is a 10 year old female cat and she seems to be pooping right outside of the litter box. We changed the litter box, changed the cat litter, and even put carpeting were she poops. No results. She has been doing this for a month strait day by day. Some person even said she might be ill. I’m concerned, please send a reply.

From:
Brandon Desormeaux

Leslie SIegel September 15, 2013 at 11:47 am

My female tabby Timmi is 11 years old. She’s always had great bathroom habits. About 3 weeks ago my hubby thought to change up the litter box because litter was too expensive and smaller bags. So we changed her out. She used the second litter okay for about 2 days, then we realized the litter was not working correct. We changed it again and this time used another litter box and brand of litter. She hated it. But used it. Then we went to Vegas for 2 days and had her looked after. When we got back we changed the litter again to another dustless healthier brand, and now she is pooping and peeing everywhere by that area except the box. I think it’s the changing of too much litter, right?????? HELP!

Audrey October 16, 2012 at 8:14 am

I just recently purchased an 8 week old, uneutered, male Bengal kitten 4 days ago. He WILL pee in his litter box but will NOT poo it in. He has poo’d 3 times thus far: once on the kitchen tile floor, (I cleaned it & moved his litter box there), once in his cage where I left him over night because I did not want him pooing in the floor while we were asleep (he immediately started meowing after to alert me), and then this morning, he peed in his litter box (downstairs in the kitchen) and about an hour later, came upstairs and poo’d on the carpet in the corner of the hallway. I don’t understand why he is doing this? I took him to the vet yesterday and they prescibed him medicine for his upper respiratory infection and ear infection, and tested for worms and he was clear and healthy. He eats regularly, dry Purina “Nurture” kitten food, and drinks plenty of water. I even have started adding small amounts of cooked chicken breast to his dry cat food for extra protein since antibiotics can lower his immune system. Should I get another litter box and place it somewhere else? I need help! Opinions, comments, or answers will be greatly appreciated! :)

Erika Lee October 21, 2012 at 6:29 am

Hi PCG,

I have two cats that are turning 13 in 2013 and one of them pooped outside of the box yesterday. There has been no change I can think of that could cause her to get upset. My cats have gone through so much change before (husband, then kids and about 8 months ago, we got a puppy) and yet, they never reacted. Is she just annoyed with something or should I consider something medically given her age?

Antoinette October 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi~ my 12 yr male cat has been pooping outside the litter box and I can seem to get him to stop! The litter, location and food are all the same but we did have a baby 9 months ago and I know he’s a little stressed since our new addition. I have two boxes set up for him and they are cleaned daily. Any suggestions would be helpful! She I try the Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Litter Attractant? And if so, I would have to change the litter bc it calls for litter without baking soda and we use Arm &Hammer… Is it smart to change the litter? Thank you!!

aubrey November 1, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Can anyone help me???? :(
My kitten started out using his litter box, then i decided it was time for a change so i got another litter box with a top. He will usually go to his litter box, but lately he’s been pooping everywhere. his poop is quite bad. its like a olive green, and is very runny. My dad wants me to get rid of him but i only got him because people wouldnt take him in. He also is weird because he likes to eat meat off the pit, chips, about anything that comes off the table. i don’t feed him these things but i think my dad is. Lately, i dont think he has and my cat looks like he struggles when he poops. It’s like he never is going to stop. He’s like a pooping machine.

Rachel November 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Need help! Just moved to new house and my 6 year old cat was fune in her litter box. Now we find she us pooping else where. Litter and food are the same. Can’t figure out why all of a sudden she now won’t use litter box.

Brandon January 13, 2013 at 6:36 am

Probably stress from the move. I recommend some playing with him. That’s the thing that makes cats healthy and happy.

Sincerely,
Brandon the helpfull Canadian.

Ellie December 2, 2012 at 9:51 am

I have a 1 and a half year old fixed female cat. Last year, in our last apartment, she had a lot of issues with peeing and pooping outside of the litter box and I am fairly certain that it had a lot to do with 1. she did not like our roommates, 2. she did not like it when we would leave for more than a few hours, 3. she had an automatic litter box and it scared her.
Since moving to a new apartment, all 3 things have been fixed. No more roommates, no more scary automatic litter box (and I clean it every day), and we rarely go anywhere overnight. She’s been an angel all year.
She has never peed in this apartment but recently, she has pooped outside of her litter box a few times. The first few times, I think it was because we left overnight – therefore the litter box became more full than she likes it. This last time – I do not understand at all. There was no reason that I can think of. She has been to the vet twice and everything has been ruled out. Also, she doesn’t poop in a regular spot. Sometimes it’s on the floor, sometimes a blanket, sometimes the leather couch, never right by the litter box. We don’t have people over often, but the few people that do come over, she is very comfortable with. She usually comes out and sits with them or if she isn’t feeling up to it, she has a space to get away too. I just can’t figure it out. Nothing else has been changed recently either, like food or litter or routine. The only thing I have thought of, doesn’t really make sense, but she is a little overweight and we were advised (a while ago) to cut back how much food we give her and she has been eating less than she prefers for about 7 months, she always seems hungry, begging for more food, but she’s overweight and I don’t want to give her more. That’s the only thing I can think of that could be upsetting her?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Brandon January 13, 2013 at 6:29 am

It could be her nutrition that’s making her like that. Try a well known brand like: Iams or something. Or it could possibly be the cat litter. My cats are 10 years of age and when we switched, it almost seemed like the same problem occurred for me to. When we switched from arm & hammer to the two cats. (It’s a small kitty litter company.)

Hope my suggestions hepled!

Sincerely,
Brandon the helpfull Canadian.

DANIELLE December 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I have an eleven year old (drama queen) cat who used to poop out side of her litter box once in a while… I thought this may have been due to stress/dirty box as i used be away from home a lot during the week. I was a bit upset at first but knew where i was going wrong and made a stronger effort to make sure the box was clean and we had more one on one time. Everything was going great until i recently took over a new home which came with another cat. The new cat is much younger than mine and they don’t seam to get along very well. i have noticed since being in the new home my cat has started to poop out side the box again…. I thought maybe it was because she didn’t like sharing the box so i now have two boxes, i have made sure the litter is cleaned every day and she still leave me with surprises….. is there anything else you could sugest?

much appreciated

Brandon January 13, 2013 at 6:33 am

A long time ago I had to cats that disliked each other, almost like yours. We had to separate every basic nessesity away from one on other. Litter box, food, toys ect… And every thing was ok. I suggest the same for you.

Sincerely,
Brandon the helpfull Canadian.

Cathy December 16, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I have a 6 yr. old male cat who has been pooping outside his litter box. I am very prompt in removing any urine in his box so he always has a fresh litter to use. I have changed his litter to see if he will start using his box to poop in. Sometimes he will poop in it, but more often than not he going outside near his litter. He used to be able to go outside because there were always someone to let him out throughout the day. all my kids moved out except one and her and I work late and are hardly home. I think that is what caused him to start pooping on the floor. The habit developed but, now I want to know how to stop it! It’s sooooo annoying! Any suggestions on how to break the habit?

Doug December 25, 2012 at 5:35 pm

My cat poops where ever she feels like. She will do it in front of me. She doesn’t have a certain spot. She doesn’t squat. Sometimes she does it while she is walking. Some times she will use the litter box several days in a row, and then go back to going on the floor. Her sister uses the litter box all the time. She is a very loving and playful cat. I have 2 litter boxes that cleaned twice a day and I use an unscented litter. Her pooped is very hard and doesn’t have a lot of odor. Have you ever heard of a cat doing this before?

Brandon January 13, 2013 at 6:18 am

He’s a fraud he won’t respond! I asked a question 5 months ago and no response! Just forget it bro…

Amanda January 19, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Hello,
My fiance and I have two cats which we rescued from outside of our apartment. We have had both the cats over a year now and we love them. The only problem is with the one cat who seems to be unable to get his poop inside the litter box. We have caught him on several occasions where he will balance on the very edge of the litter box while going. But then he will continue to go even outside the litter box. It doesn’t matter if the box is a few days dirty or if i’ve cleaned it out several times a day, which we have experimented with. We have two litter boxes one upstairs and one downstair but he seems to poop outside both of them. Help please! We don’t know what else to do.

Russell February 4, 2013 at 10:33 pm

My partner and I have a cat, originally it was his cat and we moved in together. We have a duplex apartment and also have 2 iguanas and several fish. Just recently the cat has started to poop and urinate on the couch and sometimes a rug downstairs. I originally thought that it was due to the iguanas , but one is upstairs and the other downstairs, the cat only does this downstairs and the litter box is upstairs. What I have noticed is she will use the litter box then go downstairs and poop on the rug or the couch downstairs.
Why would she doing this on the couch and the rugs downstairs? I am at the “end of the rope” and cannot have this cat continue to do this. She is spayed, and gets plenty of affection and attention, so I don’t think it is jealousy or territorial. Please help us.

alex February 8, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Hi, quick question about my cat who has just started this habit. A year ago I moved into my first home and about 5 months ago I moved my cat in with me, he lived at my parents, I started a midnight job about 4 months ago where I’m away for about 9 hours a day. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago when he knocked over a glass and it shattered. I slapped him and he ran off. This was the first time I ever hit him. The next morning he had pooped on a air mattress I keep in the spare bedroom so he can look out the window. I looked at his enclosed litter box and it needed cleaning. I cleaned it and he used it. A couple days went by and no surprises. Then he did it again. Then a couple more days went by and he did it again. Always on the air mattress and never any urination. I have never hit him again after the broken glass. What can I do? I think maybe his litter box is a bit small. His feeding habits have changed a bit. I don’t give him as much anymore because he is getting heavy. He has been fine with my work schedule and being home alone. I haven’t changed his food or his litter brand. My gf has spending the night a few nights a week and he likes being around her so I don’t think its jealousy. I don’t know what to do. Please help me, I’m worried about my little buddy.

Kristin March 2, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I have a five year old fixed male cat. He has long fur and we trim the back sometimes. He took to using the litter box right away after we found him as a stray. Recently, he’s started pooping and even urinated once right outside the litter box. We originally thought it was because my mom had been home for a week after surgery and he was mad when she got back to work. He’s pooped in the past when we’ve left. But he’s started pooping in the same spot (1foot from the box) while we’re still home! Why do you think he’s doing it?

Concerned Owner March 4, 2013 at 4:47 am

My cat has been pooping outside the litter box for a good 5 months now. My dad left for Afghanistan in June so its not because he left. We got a new cat 6 months ago so its not because of her. My cat is 14 years old. Do you know why this is happening? Oh also she doesn’t have senior dementia because none of the other symptoms are there. Please figure this out.

Juliana March 5, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Hi, my cat is 11 years old and before she’s been pretty good only occasionally pooping outside the litter box if we didnt clean it. But recently, we got a new floor which is far from the litter box(so it can’t be an accident because its a whole lump of poop) and no matter how often I clean the litter box, even when theres nothing inside, she still poops on the new, clean floor. She only pees in the litter box but poops on the new floor. I don’t know why, she doesn’t throw up often or seem sick. Please help.

jane March 11, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I have two 6 year old American Curl cats that I bought from a breeder. One is a doll, and does both her pee and poop in the litter. The other has refused from day one to poop in the litter. She chooses a shiny clean surface. She used to love the toilet, but now I have moved the cats from the bathroom and laid down a plastic desk mat, and she pees in the litter box and poops on the mat. The breeder told me her mother did the same.

The smell is too much. Have you any ideas? I’ve moved the boxes through the house, successfully, changed litters several times, and nothing has made a difference. I’m thinking of trying to toilet train the two, but am unsure how to train a cat that prefers NOT to have litter.

Suggestions?
Jane

Alexis March 23, 2013 at 9:01 pm

My cat started to poop outside the litter box. The first time she did it was when we moved from a house to an apartment. Then we moved back to a house and she stopped for a time, recently she has started to go outside the litter box again.

Things to know:
2 cats in the house –> Male and Female. Both have been fixed, Litter mates
She did not do this when we first got our cats, was behaved till we moved.
The male cat does not do this…

Any suggestions?

Jasmine April 6, 2013 at 5:26 am

I have a siamese kitten about 5 months old now and everyday she keeps pooping the floor away from the litter box. We have several other cats in the house and she even made a new cat friend. Their inseperable. All of my cats are female. My family constantly keep the litter box clean on the daily and they all are fed around the same time. When she poops the floor, my dad at first starts spanking her and pointing the the poop that was not where she should go, then he would put the poop in the litter box and pet her saying that’s where it should go. Then we tried seperate litter boxes and all my other cats starting using the restroom where she is supposed to go. We have a big litter box for my older cat and the top isn’t on it. We tried setting down newspaper and at first she would poop on that then she would poop elsewhere. Every time she would poop, my dad would lock her in the cage and keep the litter dirty for a little bit to let her know it’s ok to poop in a little dirty litter box. If I don’t find out why she keeps doing that, he’s going to get rid of her today!!! I love her so much. Someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate May 6, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I have two cats, one is a year old female and the other a two year old female. My two year old and I recently moved into my mom’s house; she used to live at my dad’s and I stayed there part time. Since we moved her into my mom’s (with me) almost a month ago, she occasionally (on average once every day and a half) will poop outside, but near, the litter box, but pee inside the box. I gave her a week or so to get used to the new house and other cat thinking that would stop her pooping. When nothing changed I tried multi cat litter. It seemed to work for 2-3 days, until she started pooping outside the litter box again. It’s been a few more weeks and she still does it, and I recently found out she’d done it for several weeks at my dad’s before I moved her here. I don’t have money for a vet, so I’d like to try anything I can before taking her.

Nicole Moore May 29, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Three months ago we brought a 1 year old cat from the rspca. She is lovely and uses the kitty litter for her wee everytime. For some reason though she always poos right next to the kitty litter. We have tried changing the litter type, changing it every second day, and we have set up 2 litters so she has options. She was wormed and checked out by the vet when we got her. We are at a complete loss. Any advice?

Tashaleigh June 10, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I have 1 cat who is about 2 years old along with 2 dogs and an almost 4 year old. Since we have gotten the cat she had no problems adjusting to my son and our older dog. We then got a puppy and again no issues. The problem of her peeing and pooping outside of her litter box started when we gave my son his own room. It is driving myself and my husband insane…. Almost every day sometimes multiple times in a day have to wash my sons sheets and clean his room because she is using his room as her new litter box of she has access to it. As some may know having a 4 year old is sometimes hard enough to keep after so trying to constantly make sure his door is shut isn’t going to happen. At this point if it persists my husband wants to bring her to the shelter. Other than this we have had no issues with her. She’s a great affectionate cat. And nothing has changed other than my son getting his own room when it began….. please help asap

Caitlin June 17, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hi.

I’m worried about my cat. She freaks out for no reason and leaves trails of poop pretty much every where. She hardly uses the litter box. I’ve gotten a new litter box, even taken her to the vet. She’s 7-10 years old. She did have a urinary problem at one point, but that’s gone now. She’s a borderline diabetic and we’ve changed her food. She’s doesn’t have a problem with that. If she doesn’t start using her litter box, my parents will put her down. Please help if you can.

Eric June 18, 2013 at 8:29 am

Hi there
I have a Male cat Fixed pooping and various places in the house….Occasional in the Letter Box. I think we have scold the cat several times for various places where he pooped. I think the Cat feels scolded for the litter box location now and does not know where it is ok. How do I retrain the cat to use the Litter box. I have been unsuccessful to move the litter box to a more private location as well. Bottom of the stairs in not our preferred location but is th only location that he uses. Always urinates in littler box. The Cat is stressed and does not go out side as well.

Please Help before Cat needs to move!!!

Amy Copeland June 27, 2013 at 4:05 pm

My cat Emma was a perfect angel (sans occasionally scratching the furniture) until about 6 months ago when she started pooping outside her box. I have tried EVERYTHING. 2 boxes, box location, different litters, feliway. I am at wits end. The vets only advice is try all the things I’ve already tried, or we could put her on kitty prozac. Not sure I’m ready to medicate her. Any advice? She’s 11, and only ‘child’ and an indoor cat. She seems quite content in every other way. Please help!

Brian June 29, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hi i was wondering,i got a 5 yr.old girl cat, she is already spayed and front declawed because she has been a indoor cat.we have had her for about 4 days, but she popped outside her let box

Alison June 30, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I have a cat that recently started pooping outside of his litter box. We haven’t changed the litter or the position of the litter box. We have ruled out medical issues. We did have a baby in October could that be it. How do I stop him from pooping on the floor just inches from his litter box? Please help!

Kari July 8, 2013 at 4:41 am

I have a problem. My cat has taken to pooping outside his litter box (3 times) the one time he did it was when we brought home a new dog that he didn’t like and the last two times have been this past weekend after a vet check up (annual yearly exam and updated his vaccinations). He has and has always had a covered litter box and I am using the same litter. He seems fine in every other way. Thankfully he is peeing inside his litter box. Does this sound like stress? or maybe something else? He had a check up on Friday the 5th and we were told his overall health seems fine.

Nate July 23, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Our 14 year old Maine Coon has started pooping in our basement, on a different floor of the house than the litter box. She has been using the same litter box for almost 3 years. We recently moved in November, and welcomed our first child this past September. We have tried everything (additional litter boxes, cleaners, deterents) and she still does it about 2 times a week. We are convinced it has to do with the move and the new baby, but we can’t have her pooping on the same floor our baby crawls on. What do you suggest, short of giving her away?

shirl July 24, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I have a 7 year old cat that has runny bowel movements and runs and hides when she goes outside the litter box. This just started after I cleaned the 3 litter boxes out and used bleached to clean them because I was fostering two kittens and one had ringworm that I was unaware of. I got the kittens back to the shelter now I am having this problem. Any suggestions??

Chris V. July 24, 2013 at 7:38 pm

After reading all these comments, I feel I know the answer as to why my 5 yr. old cat has started pooping outside his litter box. I had a boyfriend move in for a few months when this started. The guy is no longer around but my cat is still doing it. His poops look normal and no other changes. So I am going to get a new litter box and hopefully bigger and clean up the area with the recommend enzyme cleaners. Wish me luck!

Clarence H Withers July 28, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Our year old gray tiger striped (and fixed) male cat has only used her own litter box once and still insists on pooping outside of his box. We know he isn’t sick and nothing has worked in deterring him from this. We have tried everything short of letting him run wild outdoors (he has been an indoor cat ever since we got him).

Jessi August 2, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I got a new female kitten a few months ago and since I got her she uses the litter box fine while shes upstairs (shes there most of the time, so are we) but when shes downstairs she will go up to urinate but always poops in this one corner of the bathroom.Why won’t she just go upstairs like she does to urinate?We’ve tried everything to stop her, and she just moves to the hallway for her business.

Pat & Steve Koroch August 29, 2013 at 11:02 am

I have two Kitties who are 5 months old and sisters. Everything was fine then two weeks ago one of the kitties started pooping outside the box. I’ve had the poop checked by the vet (no problem) and use Cling Wrap on the carpet where she’s gone. By doing this makes her find another spot to go. I had two litter boxes and gradually moved the one on the main level downstairs which is nice and big and the one the perfer to use, the other box is around the corner and not used by them. When the problem started we moved one of the boxes back upstairs where they were happy with the location before, but it hasn’t stopped the one kitty from pooping elsewhere. Today I added another box downstairs. I have changed litter quite a while ago from fresh step to Tidy Cat. Would a trip to the Vet with Kitty be the next move?

Joshua Novak September 26, 2013 at 4:08 am

We are having some problems with our cat. We have had him for 4 yrs, and always had another cat that was there 1st. In the last few months we moved to a new state, and moved houses obviously, and a few weeks after we moved, my wife found a kitten. Well we weren’t going to keep the kitten but did end up keeping it. Now our big male cat is always upset, and refuses to use the litter box. He is peeing in the dog cage and pooping in odd places. Also he never even would think of going outside, was always scared and now he wants to go outside constantly. Also he was never one to get in high places but now he sleeps on the top of the cabinets. what could possibly be going on?

Breeony October 2, 2013 at 4:03 am

We recently adopted a one year old fixed kitty daughter. She was potty trained when we got her and was using the litter perfectly. Then she stopped using it all together. And now will only wee in them (we bought another as suggested ) help I’m so very sick of picking up poo and there seems to be no cause for it

Lorna October 12, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I have 2 gorgeous cats (brothers) and I’ve had them since they were 6 weeks old (they’ve just turned 5). We have 3 litter boxes, 1 upstairs with the lid on) that they never use, 1 in our laundry room with the lid on that they again hardly ever use, and the 3rd one is the largest 1 in the office with the lid off which seems to be their favourite most of the time…Moo is completely fine, will pee and poop in the litter box no worries, and that leaves his brother Sexy Texy…Tex will pee in the litter box no problems, but 70% of the time will poop in the area of the litter box and then spend 5 mins trying to cover it up, which when you have woodedn floors doesn’t work so well (we even got rid of the carpet downstairs and obviously that hasn’t help either), the only other place that he has pooped in is in our closet in our shoes (gross, weird, freaky and kind of funny all in 1) sdo now we keep the door closed at all times. I all boxes daily and empty out accordingly, and the main 1 in the office I dumped all the old litter, scrub it clean and put fresh litter in there every Sunday. The litter hasn’t changed, I’ve always used the Tidy Cats litter, and I do use the green, blue and red lidded I kind of rotate…and their food hasn’t changed at all. They have the run of the house (indoor cats only) and there are cat flaps on doors that we oftern close (our bedroom, laundry room, and the on the door of the linen closet where their box is in our bathroom upstairs)… I’ve been and spoken to the vet and I’ve done everything she has said, I am due to take them both for their annual check-out, and maybe there is some underlying medical issue i’m not sure about. I’ve said to my Hubby that I ffel Tex is trying to tell us something but I have no idea what it is…I love My Boys to bits, I just wish I knew what was wrong cause I would fit it in a New York Minute….If anyone thinks they might be able to help/offer suggestions/ideas etc etc i’m all ears…

Queen November 20, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I don’t know if there’s anything else other than what was in the article but our cat will go to the room where her litter is in and poop and pee there. We’ve tried punishing her as directed by the humane society but we can’t seem to figure out what is doing it and we’re considering getting rid of her. I think we’re going to try some of the things we read here, but I’m not sure where to start.

Alissa January 7, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I have had my cat since she was a baby and she is now almost six years old. She has always been good with using the kitty litter but lately she has been pooping on my boyfriend’s blankets. I’m glad that she is courteous enough to not do so on the carpet. I give her tons of attention and love and so does he. They adore each other so I know she is not showing hatred towards him. When I am gone for most of the day and come home, my room smells normal but as soon as I leave my room for a while and walk around the house and then return to my room, I find an unpleasant surprise. I believe that she waits for me to come home and then poops on my blankets. I’m thinking it might be due to the fact she doesn’t like being alone all day but I can’t stop going outside. If I did, I would be the crazy cat lady. I’m also starting to think she might be sick but I don’t think that’s the case. Her kitty litter has always been covered by a box so visitors don’t see the litter. She has NEVER had a problem with it. I also recently moved the location and put it in a different box type thing that is built into the wall. I thought that might have been the problem but then I remembered she did it before we even moved the location! I want to fix this but I do not know what to do.

Kayla February 1, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Hi I have a 6 month old kitten that was diagnosed with something called coxsidia which is a diaherra pooping problem. I had him on medicine and it worked for a while and now it stopped and he has diaherra again he goes poop in the litter box and outside of it but in the same place all the time. I am going to be moving next month and can’t have him do this in the new house I don’t know what to do to make him stop pooping in the same spot on the carpet and on the basement concrete floor. He does poop in the litter box but then he also poops elsewhere. It’s very annoying and I don’t know what to do about it. I tried different foods and different litter nothing seems to be working. I need help or some advice on what to do
Please and thanks,
Kayla

Mel February 6, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Hi,

I adopted two kittens in oct so they are 6 months now . One is immaculate with the litter box the other will pee in the litter box and only occasionally poo ( kind of seems like only when she feels like it) we have 4 litter boxes. All very clean, we use worlds best since it’s soft on their feet. We often found her pooping in the bath tub , and on tiled floors . I’m starting to think she likes the cold and prefers to poo there . Even if I catch her in the act or trying to I put her in the litter box she will scratch then jump out and find a different location . She often poos beside the box . We even have two boxes downstairs and she poo in between them. I thought maybe it had to do with privacy since he likes pooping in the basement do you think a coveted box would help ? Should I have a box with just a piece of tiled floor ? I’m really running out of ideas here and would really like some advice thank you

Hannah April 11, 2014 at 6:53 am

We’ve recently been having problems with our 7 yr old male/neutered cat. He belonged to my husband before we got married 9 months ago and adjusted well with myself and my large dog in the household. We moved into the house we’re at in September last year and waited to introduce the 2 animals till when we moved in so there wouldn’t be a power struggle. We had introduced them briefly a couple of times for about a month before we moved so the cat could see the dog. There were no box problems during this time or during the move.
For the last month and a half he has decided to poop consistently in 3 spots in the office where his litter box is. We’ve tried making sure the box is cleaned everyday, new litter, etc. None of it is working. His box is in the quietest part of the house and is gated off from the dog so he always has privacy. It’s really starting to take a toll on my husband and how we feel about the cat. We’re renting and we don’t have room for another litter box. He seems to be happy; he plays with the dog sometimes and he sits with me and rubs on me so it doesn’t seem like he’s protesting against myself or the dog. He knows he’s boss of the dog at least. The only other time he’s done this was the week of our wedding when my brother-in-law was over, someone he detests. ANY advice would be very appreciated.
Hannah S.

Mandy July 14, 2014 at 7:01 pm

If anyone can please email me, I have some major concerns about recently having to place my indoor cat outdoors. Due to severe allergies in my house, I am surprised at how well she is adjusting but now she has taken to meowing at random windows throughout our house. I have more questions if anyone can help, please. Thanks.

brittney July 20, 2014 at 7:08 am

I’ve had my two kittens for almost two weeks now and one of them poop ( sometimes runny ) on the sides sometimes and I just bought them new food because the store was out in the kind i usually get them. Could that be the problem? Or could it be the treats I bought for them? I give them one or two each every other one or two days because there so little. Should I stop doing that or cut it down? And I’ve tried two different litter but it doesn’t take the stink out. What kind of litter can I use for it to not to stink? HELP!!

Jordan Reid September 22, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Any thoughts on this? My cat used to be fine, and all of the sudden he started to go bald. Then after this, about half a year later, he started peeing all over everyone’s stuff And he’s fixed. His litter box is clean & we have kept the same food and litter brand for his whole life, so what’s up with him?

Jordan Reid September 22, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I would really appreciate some insights of as to what is going on with him.

Michelle September 23, 2014 at 12:52 am

Dear Pet guy,
My husband says the no longer make the litter he used to use for our cat…. Now she poops in the hallway everyday!!!! I thinks she’s perfectly healthy but may check with the vet we have tried different kinds of litter… She will pee in the box so I don’t get it why doesn’t she poop in the box?? My Husband scoop the litter everyday!!!! PLEASE HELP

Bob September 23, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Hi, my cat will not use the litter box to poop but she will use it to pee. She always goes somewhere around it. We have two boxes she is our only cat and we have never changed anything. We have already ruled out the medical issues. Is there anything we can do that we haven’t tried???

Frustrated cat lover September 30, 2014 at 9:00 am

My cats are healthy. I always get frustrated by the “well did you change anything” suggestion, because there are a lot of changes over which we really don’t have much control. We give them time to adjust, but it just continues. This has been an occasional problem ever since we got a second cat (5 years ago…), but it has gotten worse and worse. We moved from a 4 bedroom house in to a 1 bedroom apartment 2 years ago, which doesn’t help matters. There’s only one place suitable for the litter, so it’s not like I have options in moving it around. I know for the fact that the younger cat has ambushed the older one while in the box, so we removed the lids. That did nothing. We have changed litters, but only in an attempt to stop this, not “just ’cause.” We use non-perfumed litters. They did this with scoopable and not scoopable. Nothing makes any bit of difference. We scoop 1-2 times per day, but I’m pregnant and can’t help (this was a problem long before the pregnancy). So, my husband does it as often as he possibly can. We have 2 boxes (the largest ones they make), next to one another. But, as I said, it is the only spot in the apartment we can put them, so moving them isn’t really an option (especially if it keeps happening, because everywhere else has carpet). The older cat (whom we believe is the biggest offender) is highly anxious. You mentioned that change and what not stresses them out, but much of it we can’t help. They just need to adjust. The problem is, the biggest changes happened awhile ago and yet the problem just kept getting worse…We even tried the calming collars on both of them. They were stupidly expensive and did nothing to help matters. I’m at wits end with this…My apartment constantly wreaks of poop and I’m not supposed to be picking it up, so it sits until my husband gets home from work. Help!!!

Kirsten December 8, 2014 at 2:55 am

Great read, very inciteful but I’m still wondering what is up with my cat. He’s a small guy, fixed and about 2 years old. Housebreaking him was easy enough as a kitten but he’d still have a random accident now and again. We got two litter boxes and everything was great. We moved about 3 months ago and got rid of one box but kept the other because well he’s a small single cat. Since moving he poops once a week right next to his litter box. I’m going to try getting another box, it’s just annoying trying to figure out what’s wrong.

linda January 10, 2015 at 11:58 am

My cat will poop only occasionally, once every two months or so and seems to occur usually if we are gone for a couple of days. The vet said she has a separation anxiety issue. She does have long hair and appears to have a hair ball weekly. I clean up the mess and use citrus spray on the spot. She only does this on the one type of carpeting and it is new and is darker in color. Hoping to get some suggestions. My litter box is kept immaculate and the only other thing I can think of is leaving her alone although it doesn’t necessarily occur the night we are gone…more lie within three days thereafter. Thanks:)

Patty March 21, 2015 at 4:43 am

Hi I need some help ..
I have a eight year old cat. He started pooping outside the Little box. Let me start from the beginning back in August our 13-year-old dog passed away …

Then four weeks later we brought home a new puppy. About six weeks after the new puppy he started pooping outside the litter box off and on. I have change cat litter times within the last two years and never seem to be an issue. I do believe that this has to do with the puppy not the litter. We have another cat also but he has no problems with his brother. I have gotten two little boxes to see if this would help and it hasn’t worked so far. I clean the litterr and I scoop every day I know sometimes it might not be the cleanest but I still don’t know if that’s the problem!?!
He is a very large cat so we have a very large cat litter box and that seems to have never been an issue that’s never been a problem.
I need I need advice or any help please please please this cat is so sweet and so precious and I don’t know what to do!!!:(
I’m willing to take him to the vet to make sure that there’s nothing wrong with him healthwise. But I know for fact this is behavioral he’s eating and he’s drinking he gets playful with the other cat .
he’s got complete solid poops that are outside the litter box..
Now this week he is urinating outside litterbox. I am so sick I don’t know what to do I prayed so hard that he doesn’t so start going anywhere else in my house. I can handle that in the basement and in front of the little box for now but I’m scared
Please any help
Chesney’s mommy

Liss March 27, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I have a three year old cat who poops underneath beds and on the floor. I havr moved _3 times within a year. I lost my husband last year then I got evicted now I live with my friend her two kids and her boyfriend and they got two cats of their own. I’ve cleaned the litter boxes everyday didn’t change her food or litter and she has a clean bill of health. My friend is making me to get rid of her because she keeps pooping everywhere else other than the litter box. She will use it when she wants too. I know she knows how to use the litter box. I don’t know what else to do please help me.

jesse April 6, 2015 at 3:10 pm

I fail to see how its the owner’s fault when a cat mismisbehaves purposely because it doesn’t like something yoy do. . . In the human world these people are called “criminals.”

Melissa April 13, 2015 at 10:27 am

Hi, I have a 14 year old cat that will not poop in his litter box. We moved to Arizona from Texas in January ’15. In Texas he hated the other cats that we lived with, he was calm they were kittens. Here in Arizona it is only him. We have two litter boxes in both bathrooms. They stay clean and are washed once a week but he still refuses to use them or if he does it is right outside of them on the edge. His food is the same and nothing has changed. He has been with me since day 1 and we do move to different places and he always refuses to use the litter box. He will go in there sometimes but then he won’t. My fiance is fed up with him and I don’t know what to do. We do have a four year old living with us as well but they don’t interact too much. Is there a spray or natural product that I can put on the carpet to get him away from the area he is pooping in?

I have tried changing litters! He ended up eating the litter though so I went back to the old one.

vivian May 12, 2015 at 11:27 am

My cat is being pooping on and off out of the box as she is walking into the box. This week is almost every day. I have cleaned the two boxes, no change in new litter. We have another cat but she is living with us almost two years.
We took her to the vet and claimed at that time she is ok with no urinary track infection. We do feed some cats outside but this is being happening more than a year. Please help

Nibbor May 29, 2015 at 3:02 am

Why has my 12 year old cat pooped IN my dogs food? She has NEVER done this before. She also vomited on her clean towel we put on our fabric kitchen & have for years. No change there! In fact I can’t see anything different at all. Is she crazy? Because I’m going nuts!!! All this nastiness in the last day. HELP!!! Nibs

Patricia June 17, 2015 at 8:52 pm

My cat Pepper use to pee before she got spaded now she poops when things don’t go her way or she doesn’t like the smell on your clothes or you don’t feel her food or water bowl she is spoiled rotten she doesn’t like the cats outside been going on for almost 8 years!